The Yoga Barn: Ubud, Bali
2018 Special Workshops:
- September 24th - 30th: Advanced Training / Immersion for Teachers (50 hours)
- December 16th - 22nd: Advanced Yoga for Perfect Beginners
"The only reason we choose to do yoga is for the pleasure — the literal pleasure — of our systems relaxing and filling with energy. It is not some struggle to enjoy a future result." — Mark Whitwell
In a world full of commodified "yoga" and the proliferation of brands and styles, how do we make sure we keep the heart in Yoga? How do we practice and teach in ways that respect and recognize each individual as the unique expression of life that they are? What are the practical tools that can help us feel our own intrinsic joy, freedom, and authority, and share this?
Investigate these questions in this two-week immersion with a Master Teacher. In the exquisite surroundings of Yoga Barn, located in the heart of Ubud, Bali, we will explore how Yoga is not just a physical workout, a collection of information, or a "spiritual" workout towards a future, better version of ourselves. It is each person's direct participation in the nurturing force of reality, as it is appearing as you and everything else.
These trainings are not in any particular "style" of Yoga: it is the essential principles of the Great Tradition, as brought forth from the Indian tradition by the "teacher of the teachers," Tirumalai Krishnamacharya, and made uniquely relevant to us as modern people by Mark. You will therefore be able to apply these principles to any style or level of Yoga you wish to practice or teach, to make all Yoga individualized, effective, enjoyable, and safe. All bodies and backgrounds are welcome.
In the company of Mark, we will:
- Learn Krishnamacharya's basic principles of practice, restoring receptivity and sensitivity to asana (and life);
- Demystify asana, pranayama, bandha, meditation, and chanting as practical tools for each person's participation in reality;
- Explore how asana, pranayama, meditation, and life are a seamless process;
- Study Yoga history and philosophy, including the Yoga Sutras — but philosophy in the deepest sense of 'loving wisdom,' rather than just as dry theory;
- Learn the essential principle of "strength receiving" and how Yoga enables a person to feel and enjoy the union of all opposites;
- Unravel the "social dynamic of disempowerment" that can exist in teaching situations, and learn how to care and teach as a friend and equal;
- Connect with other genuine practitioners from around the world who want something more than a cookie-cutter teacher training;
- Learn about Vinyasa Krama, the art of appropriate sequencing;
- Master how to shape Yoga to the individual, not the individual to Yoga;
- Learn the skills through Yoga to get your life right for you, and to help others do the same;
- Understand subtle anatomy and how breath and bandha are engaged to create correct alignment naturally;
- Deeply relax and feel the intrinsic beauty of our own nature, as nature.
For September or December 2018 modules (each):
- $890 Early Bird:
1 months prior to the training start date for each program (i.e. 24th of August and 16th of November)
- $990 Standard:
Due in full 15 days prior to training start date for each program (i.e. 15th of September and 1st of December)
- Full tuition — Immersive study and practice, with time built in to relax and enjoy Ubud
- Support establishing an individually-tailored daily practice
- Direct discussion with renowned international teacher(s)
- One-on-one discussion with Mark, mentors and/or assistant teachers if required
Accommodation and daily meals are not included in the price, but there is a wide variety of affordable, beautiful, and delicious options both within and within walking distance of Yoga Barn.
Feel free to contact retreat coordinator with questions or registration enquiries:
About our venue, the stunning Yoga Barn:
As a center dedicated to healing and renewal, The Yoga Barn provides a lush and inspiring environment for the nourishment of body, mind and soul right in the center of Ubud, Bali. Filled with mossy sculptures and the sound of flowing water, Yoga Barn is such a green, peaceful, and nurturing environment, it is impossible not to relax and feel the wonder of nature all around.
Launched in 2007, The Yoga Barn was created by its founders for the sole purpose of bringing together community and giving back to the island of Bali, The Yoga Barn is open 360 days a year from 7am – 9pm with over 15 classes & workshops a day, and retreats and yoga teacher trainings with visiting faculty on a regular basis.
Located in downtown Ubud, The Yoga Barn provides peaceful respite from the traffic of Ubud’s main streets. Conveniently accessible from two entrances – one entrance is located on Jln Pengosekan, (a short wander down Jln Hanoman past Coco Supermarket) and the second entrance is located on Jln Tebeseya, just outside the Yoga Barn Guest House and includes a parking lot.
The Yoga Barn includes a 10-room Guest House, a Healing Center with cleansing and colonics, an Ayurvedic Massage & Treatment Center, a branch of the Bali Yoga Shop, and an outdoor amphitheater with a Juice Bar, as well as the garden branch of Ubud’s local restaurant gem, Kafe.