Heart of Yoga Retreat & Training
Join Mark Whitwell and Amy Bankoff at the beautiful and historic Pepper Tree Retreat in Ojai, California, the American home of J. Krishnamurti, a renowned world teacher and student of T.K.V. Desikachar.
Study in-depth with master teacher Mark Whitwell and senior Heart of Yoga teacher Amy Bankoff in this unique and powerful location.
Spend a transformative week in the enchanted "Valley of the Moon" as we dive into the Heart of Yoga. This course is offered at the historic Pepper Tree Retreat where J. Krishnamurti lived and taught, and a tangible feeling of stillness pervades the property. Nowhere is quite like Ojai for expansive sunsets and the spacious restfulness of orange groves and mountain trails.
Use as a Retreat or Towards Certification
You have the choice to attend to develop your personal practice or as a restorative retreat, or to develop your teaching skills towards certification, which can be completed anywhere around the world — get in touch for more information.
During the training, You will receive...
- Opportunity to deeply explore traditional hathayoga, as brought through by 'the teacher of the teachers', Tirumalai Krishnamacharya.
- Asana practice, including appropriate inversions, twists, forward bends, designed specifically for you and your students
- Your own personal practice tailored to fit your needs—age, health, culture, religion etc.
- The understanding and tools to teach free of any power structures
- Experiential understanding of asana, pranayama, meditation and life as a seamless process
- Krishnamacharya’s Five Principles of Practice
- Exploration of bandha in asana and pranayama
- Use of mantra in practice and immersion in yoga's 'sister art' — traditional Indian raaga
- Understanding of vinyasa krama, the art of appropriate sequencing
- The essential principle of 'strength receiving' in Yoga and Life
- The practice and process of nurturing, regeneration and abundance as a constant
- A week with a Master Teacher in an intimate and energetically powerful setting
- Delicious organic, healing food and the wonderful company of other sincere practitioners
Pricing & Accommodation options per person*
For this training, we are using the beautiful Pepper Tree Retreat's Event Pavilion as the Yoga Shala, and we have these accommodation options available:
- $3199 Pepper Tree private queen bed
- $2699 Pepper Tree twin-share (per person)
- $2699 Pepper Tree private queen bed couple (per person)
- $2599 Lindley House twin-share (per person)***
*Prices are in US dollars per person and are all-inclusive of your accommodation, three meals a day, and full tuition.
**For students whom provide their own accommodation, the price is $2199 and includes tuition, lunch and dinner.
***Shared bathroom between one twin and one single room. Note that Lindley House is right next door to Pepper Tree Retreat and practically functions as part of the same property.
Scholarships available for those in financial need; please apply for more information.
Sunday 21st October: Arrive, check in, dinner, evening gathering (perhaps a short and gentle practice)
Monday 22nd – Thursday 25th:
Time for personal practice
9am–12.30: Talk and practice with Mark
12.30-2.30: Lunch, free time
2.30–5.30: Talk and practice with Mark and Amy
6pm (approx): Dinner
Friday 26th: Time for personal practice
9am–1pm: Final talk and practices with Mark
Afternoon: Practice with Amy
Saturday 27th:Time for personal practice
Optional morning visit to Hot Pools
Afternoon: Practice with Amy
Sunday 28th: Time for personal practice
Final Gathering and departure
Feel free to contact retreat coordinator for pricing options, questions and registration:
Heart of Yoga is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
These trainings are registered with the Yoga Alliance and count toward teacher training and continuing education hours.